Thursday, October 24, 2013

Consider It Pure Joy...

This morning I was having another difficult time waking up.  I was struggling with my emotions about having to be up to make breakfast for Dean and I.  I didn't want to do it.  I grumbled while doing it.  I grumbled more when instead of coming to breakfast first he took a shower.  I fussed about his eggs getting cold.  I didn't want to make more.  It hit me that I needed to check the attitude before Dean got to the table.  I finished getting the apple ready and sat down and ate my breakfast.  I put his eggs back in the skillet that was still warm.  I apologized about the eggs being cold.  Made sure that he had all he needed (food wise) for the day, gave him a kiss goodbye and then he was off. 

So...  what do I sit down and read, but

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds. 

If you have checked in with my other posts you will know that I am doing the devotional book that goes along with the Made To Crave book by Lysa TerKeurst.  This was the verse for today.  It doesn't say have joy when you have trails.  Because lets face it in the middle of a trail that last thing on your mind is joy.  We are to consider it joy.

 I decided to look up the word consider in the dictionary:
1. to think carefully about, especially in order to make a decision; contemplate; reflect on.
2. to regard as or deem to be
3. to think, believe, or suppose
4. to bear in mind; make allowances for
5. to pay attention to; regard

There is a lot of meaning in that one little word.  We are to think carefully about what is going on in our lives to pay attention to what is happening.  So how do I apply that to my weight loss journey.  If you have never been on a diet it may seem silly to think of it as a trial.  But it is that an more.  Choosing one thing over another can make you feel deprived or a failure.  God isn't asking us to be overflowing with joy when we are eating a salad and someone else gets to eat a tasty cheeseburger.  He wants us to consider that this is temporary and that making the right choices whether it is food or some other difficult situation can bring us that joy.   Don't be a martyr and high and mighty when you make a right decision.  Everyone has struggles, whether we see them or not.  Bear in mind that we are only accountable for ourselves.  Regard your actions carefully.

Such a powerful message one little word was for me this morning.  The outcome of my eating the way I am is to make be a healthier person.  I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own skin.  I want to have a healthy future.  So I WILL consider it a joy when my stomach want a burger and I am stuck with a salad.  Or when I want a nice hunk of bread and I have carrots instead.

Thank you Lord for helping me see this verse in a new way.  Because the blessing we have to consider is "that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment