Sunday, October 27, 2013

Surprise!!!! I Am Not Perfect!

The title of the devotional I read today was titled  - "Expecting Perfection and Accepting Humanity".   I wonder how many of us have a hard time with that.  I think it is easier to understand when a non-believer doesn't understand when we fall off the perfection wagon, because they usually equate salvation with perfection.  Really!!  I am just like any one else.   I have my good days and bad days.  Sometimes the bad days are more than I can handle and I make stupid decisions.  That doesn't make my faith fraudulent.  If salvation made us perfect how would we understand the imperfections of others.  Christ was on earth in human form so that he could understand us and we could relate to Him (at least I think so).   I have a tendency to lean toward the good in people, which sometimes drives my husband nuts.  I can help it.  I see the imperfections in myself and appreciate it when people give me the benefit of the doubt.  I also realize that when bad behavior is consistent and there isn't a change on the horizon that the benefit of the doubt goes out the window.  I try hard not to judge someone on the little snapshot of their lives that I get.  Of course you aren't in the car with me when someone cuts me off or gets in my way.  Hence the imperfection of me coming out.

One of the things that I remember about getting to know the people of my church is that drinking alcohol is something done pretty openly.  I can't remember ever hearing or seeing anyone drink alcohol when I was growing up.  That isn't to say that it wasn't done, it was just that when you were spending time with someone from the church you didn't.  I was surprised and kind of judgey about it at first.  Then I realized what a hypocrite I was being.  My sister Dee and I would go out alot to eat once I learned how to drive.  When I was old enough we also had a drink with our meal.  It felt good to be doing something behind my parents back, and it was enjoyable.  So I don't have a problem with it anymore, but I also realize that is an area that as Christians we need to be careful about.  I was reading Romans 14 - 15:7 where it talks about that. 

Lord, please help me to realize that imperfection is apart of who we all are and that is why you came to die on the cross for us.  I want to mange my imperfections and to strive to be more like you.  I also know that I won't be perfect until I get to heaven.  Help me to be tolerant of others imperfections.  Use my imperfections to possibly open a door to share my faith with someone.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment